Have you ever found yourself steeped in sin as a Christian? Have you ever been discouraged by your own foolish decisions? Do you ever suspect your priorities are out of order?
Natalie Venegas has been there. As her contribution to the Women Wielding The Word series, she shares with us how the Bible keeps her accountable and directly impacts her life on a daily basis.
How the Bible Keeps Me Accountable
Things certainly have changed over the years. In early adulthood, Bible reading sat very low on my list of priorities. In fact, my Bible collected dust in a box that was pushed back into the corner of a closet.
I think back to those times and often ask myself how I made it through. I had previously walked with the Lord and Bible reading had been part of my everyday life, and yet, somewhere, somehow, things had changed. Priorities had shifted and compromise had taken over.
My Bible was neglected and daily scripture reading became a distant memory.
The Impact of God’s Word
Those times were definitely tumultuous and troublesome. They were some of the hardest years of my life and I allowed sin to take over. I had let my guard down. Part of me wonders if I had kept reading the Word if I would have fallen back into my old way of living so easily?What would have happened if I kept on reading and receiving from scripture?
I believe things would have been different. Which leads me to where I am today.
My story has changed and my story has been redeemed.
Reasons to Read the Bible
Nowadays, reading God’s Word (the Bible) daily is an integral part of what keeps me accountable in my walk with God and there are several reasons for this:
- The Word is God and it is His words (John 1:1). When I read, I hear directly from His Spirit. The Word of God is alive and He will speak directly into any given circumstance that I may be going through. The revelation I receive keeps me coming back for more.
- God’s Word is my best source of encouragement. I will know how God feels about me and what His promises are for me even when life tells me otherwise. Sometimes the world can try and convince us that God doesn’t care about us at all but that simply isn’t true. That leads me to my next point…
- The Word of God is the ultimate standard of truth. We live in a world where we are bombarded with lies and made to feel confused. I will be able to better discern between truth and error the more familiar I am with God’s Word. If I don’t make time for God’s Word then it is too simple to allow myself to be deceived.
- The Word of God is my weapon. It is my only offensive piece of armor (Ephesians 6:10-20) and it will help me to fight when the enemy attacks. To know the Word is to know how to pray because the word of God is powerful and sharper than a two-edged sword.
- The Word of God reveals the character of God. I will learn to trust in Him as I learn of His faithfulness throughout the Bible. He never changes and I am able to trust that He will do as He says. There are countless stories of how God came through for His children in the Bible. I can know that the same God cares for me and looks out for me in the same way.
I often thank the Lord for turning things around for me and having mercy on me. To hear from Him is to glean the best kind of knowledge and to be comforted in the best kind of way. Nothing else compares.
Natalie Venegas is a Christian creative and California native who now resides in Las Vegas, NV. Her passion is community and her heart is for the Lord.
When she isn’t writing for Milk & Honey Faith she can be found spending quality time with her husband Anthony and her two children. Natalie also serves alongside her husband in ministry in the hopes of reaching many with the Gospel of Jesus and furthering His Kingdom.
You can also connect with Natalie here:
Women Wielding The Word
Sharing stories of how God has impacted our lives encourages us and builds our faith. It’s one of my favorite things to do!
This series is meant to be an encouragement to you. I’ve asked other bloggers to share what their time with God looks like and how the Bible has impacted their lives. No two stories are the same. Every woman’s devotional life looks different.
Read about other “Women Wielding the Word” in this series here.
Get access to the entire Wield The Word Bible Reading Plan Library! Exclusively for email subscribers, our library contains 12 themed Bible reading plans. Each plan equips you with 30 short passages and action steps to help you dig deeper. Subscribe to join us in the library!