“Knowing the Bible is one thing; knowing the Author is another.” (Source Unknown)
If our study of the Bible doesn’t result in a greater understanding of who God is and who we are in Him, we’ve missed the point.
Knowing God empowers us to trust Him. Trusting Him means we can rest in Him, waiting for Him to do His work in His way and in His time. This leads to our peace and His glory.
Bottom line: We read the Bible to get to know God."If our study of the Bible doesn't result in a greater understanding of who God is and who we are in Him, we've missed the point." Click To Tweet
What Makes A Quality Bible Study
I’ve enjoyed dozens of Bible studies in the last 4 decades. Very few have been a waste of my time, but I’ve developed specific preferences in any study I’m willing to invest in.
My criteria are not the gold standard for Bible studies. Many great studies exist that might not meet all my personal requirements.
But I do want to share with you the things I look for in a Bible study (in no particular order):
- Bible-Based: Each lesson is based on Scripture, in context, and preferably more than one verse per day.
- Central Character: God (not myself or others) is the central character of the study.
- Length: The length of each day’s study is manageable. Optional “going deeper” content for those who have more time. Having a rest or grace day each week to allow for the unexpected is welcome.
- Bible Translation: Scriptures referenced are from an accurate translation of the Bible rather than a paraphrase.
- Questions: If questions are asked to provoke interpretation, meditation or application, I don’t want them to be leading questions with an obvious answer, making them almost rhetorical. Don’t give me the answers. Make me think and study.
- Formatting: Correct spelling, punctuation, and clear formatting. (Sadly, I’ve participated in several studies that were excellent in content, but the typos were so distracting, I was hesitant to recommend it to anyone else.)
- Gospel-Saturated: The truth of the Gospel permeates throughout the study. Grace-infused, but not permissive or shying away from hard truth, and certainly not legalistic.
- For Women: If it’s a study specifically for women, I prefer one focused more on our general role as a daughter of God rather than on specific roles that don’t necessarily apply to all women (such as wife, mom, etc.). The studies that focus on those specifics have their place, but the truth of the Bible applies to all women, and I like having the freedom to recommend a study to all the women in my life regardless of the stage of life they’re in.
- Aesthetically-Pleasing: It’s not a requirement, but it’s always a bonus when a study is visually appealing.
- Learning Styles: Accommodation of various learning styles. This is harder to come by, but when it’s not a expectation for a student to write long paragraphs, or even to write at all, the study seems more accessible for some. Not everyone learns by writing. A study with an audio option is ideal for auditory learners.
Many studies exist that meet this criteria. Many more do not. Again, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed studies that did not meet all of these requirements. These are just my personal preferences and the things I look for when finding a new study.Looking for a good Bible study? Find out what Jana looks for in a Bible study and a new one she recommends. Click To Tweet
RescYOUed: A 30-Day Study of God Our Rescuer
I have the privilege of being a part of Living By Design‘s Launch Team for their new study: RescYOUed. As I worked my way through the advance copy of this beautiful study, my heart filled with gratitude to God for who He is and what He’s done. I was reminded afresh of the truth of the Gospel, humbled by God’s rescue plan for me.
This is a study that meets all my criteria. All!
RescYOUed is a Bible study I highly recommend to any woman seeking to know God more and grow in her faith. Packed full of life-changing truths about who God is, this 30-day study walks through the Bible and explores the names of God revealed in stories about real people in situations we can relate to.
With a key Scripture passage each day, along with supplementary passages, beautiful artwork and graphics, a short devotional, community-building questions, and encouragement to meditate on throughout the day, this study is Word-rich, satisfying nourishment to the thirsty soul.
RescYOUed: The Details
Living by Design Ministries’ RescYOUed Bible Study will take you on a journey through Scripture in search of God’s great rescue plan.
If you’ve ever doubted God’s ability (or desire) to rescue you from physical, emotional, or spiritual bondage, we invite you to join us for this free online Bible study.
As we explore the stories of twenty-two different biblical characters, we will discover the many different ways God rescues his people.
All you need to complete the free online Bible study is 15-minutes per day and an e-mail address.
Here are 5 quick facts about the RescYOUed Bible Study:
- It’s convenient! The study comes straight to your e-mail each day.
- It’s quick! You can complete the study in less than 15-minutes per day.
- It’s free! And who doesn’t love FREE?!?
- You get rest days! The study follows five days on/two days off format.
- You get bonus gifts! This study is packed with lots of digital freebies.
Throughout the study, you will receive daily e-mails including a brief Scripture reading and devotional along with shareable quote graphics. We are excited to announce that we have included an audio version of the daily devotionals in each RescYOUed e-mail—making it easier than ever to learn on the go! We encourage you to set aside a minimum of 10-15 minutes per day to complete the study but don’t be surprised if you are tempted to linger a while longer over these powerful stories.
Learn more and reserve your spot today at LivingbyDesign.org/RescYOUed. Don’t forget to invite your friends to join us; Bible study is always more fun with friends.
We are celebrating the release of this powerful new study with weekly giveaways at LivingbyDesign.org and other collaborating blogs. We are so grateful for our talented Creative Partners who have donated these items to support the study.
Giveaway #1: March 12-18
This week’s giveaway bundle ENDS TODAY – Monday, March 18th!!!!!!! If you’re reading this post later, see Giveaways #2 and #3 below! Giveaway #1 features handcrafted items from Elly & Grace, Fearfully Made Co., Wingdreamer, and Your Words Cuffs. Enter below for your chance to be selected as one of four winners! Giveaways open to USA residents only.a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway #2: March 19-25
Giveway #2 features handcrafted items from God’s Fingerprints, O My Soul Design, Garrett HandLettering, and Route 22 Designs. Enter below for your chance to be selected as one of four winners! Giveaways open to USA residents onlya Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway #3: March 26-31
This week’s giveaway bundle features handcrafted items from Belief & Eden, Clever Mama, A Pile of Ashes, and Wenthe Jewelry Studio. Enter below for your chance to be selected as one of four winners! Giveaways open to USA residents only.
To visit some of the other places online where I might be sharing this post, click here.
Our next monthly email newsletter includes a 30-Day Bible Reading Challenge on What the Bible Says About Our Own Words! A simple plan with a short passage to read each day, and options to take more time and go deeper. Don’t miss it! Subscribe today!